- To fulfill the passion to learn the subjects and fields of study that cannot be incorporated in school curriculum.
- To pursue knowledge through student activity focused on education, not accepting knowledge passively.
- To enhance presentation skills and critical thinking skills in order to prepare for college interviews.
- Avoid Korean, English and Math based lecture.
- Open lectures that encompass a wide range of field to satisfy the wants of the students.
- Encourage active learning through student activity and avoid one-way delivery of knowledge between teachers and students.
- Lectures are avalable for all students.
Debate Tournament Curriculum
- Enhance communication skill and critical thinking along with integrated and effective thinking skills.
- Enhance the ability to solve problems in a creative and dynamic way.
- Educate democratic citizens and leaders.
- Provoke intellectual curiosity among children through various debates that encompass a wide range of academic fields, including politics, culture, science and art.
- Lead students to participate actively by allowing them to manage the whole process of a debate, including peer evaluation.
- After a debate, the teacher is responsible for giving.
- Debate form: CEDA Debate Tournament Style
- Team Formation: 3-4 students per group, 8 groups per class, and every students in class take a role in debate. (2 debate groups, one manager group, 2 judge group, and 3 observer group)
- Team Tornament Match
- Required documents for class:
- Debate Outline: Debaters of pros and cons submit before the debate.
- Organized Flow of Debate Sheet: Judges and Observers submit after the debate.
- Final evaluation of class:
- Group work: 1 Champion Team, 1 Finalist Team, 2 Semi-finalist Team
- Individual work: Select 1 MVP per class among Semi-Finalist teams through voting procedure.
- School Awards:
- The title of the award: Debate Tournament Award
- Context: Award 4-5 selected students per class who eagerly participated in debate.
- Form individual debate portfolio and publish organized resource materials used in the debate.
- Motions of Debate
|Number of Motions
English Literature Class
1. Features of lecture
- As part of in-depth English language learning, give lectures based on high English level.
- Students are able to form their own perspective on classic literature by studying one classic English literature per semester through not only reading simple texts to prepare for University, but also analyzing the text critically.
- By avoiding top-down lecture and focusing on group debate and presentation based lecture, lead students to participate in class actively and connect with individual learning styles. .
- Since the teacher of English literature class is responsible for every process of the lecture including the selection of books, the teacher is able to perform lecture that suits the appropriate academic level of Daewon Foreign Language High School students.
- Analyze and compare the difference between a book and a movie after watching a movie based on literature that had been learned in class.
- For senior English literature class, compare the book that is being learned with other literatures that has similar historical background or theme and students are able to deeply understand the literature through this process.
Daewon Essay Competition Operation Plan
- Develop academic inquiry of students into logical thinking and enhance the capacity of self-directed learning among students.
- Foster the ability to solve problems with potential creativity and draw out inquiry based on profound interest on social circumstances and surroundings.
- Learn to become a democratic citizen who shows mutual respect through the process of exchanging each other’s academic perception.
- Learn research ethics that includes honesty through the process to conclude with accurate results withinthe research.
- Students themselves select a research topic and with the help of mentors and teachers, students prepare for a presentation based upon their research.
- Research topics that surpass the level of high school students are discouraged and topics that reflect student’s interest in school and school activities are recommended.
- Individual research is not allowed. Groups (3-4 students) are registered and they have the opportunity to present their essays.
- Research essays are written by 2nd graders.